Five Quick Contractor Tips To Remember About Business & Home Maintenance
Of all the investments you make during your live into tangible items and objects, possibly one of the critical of all is your home or your business. Whether making plans large or small in business or home maintenance, the physical structure of a business is what makes it possible to earn money and the physical structure of a home allows a family to live safe and secure.
Maintaining a home or business is time intensive. That means that most homeowners and business owners get so caught up with day to day operations and activities that go on that they forget to spend the time and money necessary to keep everything structurally sound. If you have been neglecting business or home maintenance for a while, it is likely that the time has come for repairs to be made.
Now you are faced with a decision about what contractor to hire to do the work. Here at Beyond Custom, we employ only the finest contractors who have skills in a range of business and home maintenance, repairs and construction areas. Here are some things we want to remind homeowners and business owners about when they need to find a contractor:
- Make sure you get a written contract and that the agreement is in place before any business or home maintenance, repairs or makeovers actually begins. It’s absolutely essential to know what is going to be done, when it is going to be done, and how it is going to be done.
In addition to this, you and the contractor need to make sure you are on the same page about how things will proceed during business or home maintenance, repairs or construction. The final step for the paperwork is to sit down and review everything carefully. This is the backup you are securing so that if anything goes wrong you have recourse to follow and are not left high and dry.
Most written contracts include things like price itemization and estimates, product requirement lists, estimated time frame outline, and payment schedule. Getting everything in writing helps protect you and your contractor is a step that must not be skipped over for the sake of saving time or money. While it’s understandable that you will have a budget to consider, your business or home maintenance is too important to cut corners on.
- Be sure that you ask the contractor for references and double check the credentials before you make your final decision about to hire. You have to be smart about your choice and doing your research. Before you ever allow work to begin on home maintenance or business space needs, checking up on the references and recommendations that have been provided can reveal great insight into what the contractor is really like.
They can tell you nice things about what customers have said about them and their home maintenance work, but you need to check those references out for yourself to make sure they are true and legitimate. Spending the time to verify the reviews can be a great time and money saver in the long run as many scam contractors will give fake review to help them win new clients and jobs or to cover up poor performance reviews from legitimate clients.
- Never ever, under any circumstance, pay in full up front to cover business or home maintenance prior to completion. It is normal in almost all construction jobs for the contractor to ask you to make a small down payment. This is necessary as the contractor has money to work with to get started and get the supplies and materials that they need to start the work on the home maintenance or business project you are hiring them for.
However, do not pay for the entire job upfront. Legitimate contractors, like those from Beyond Custom will handle payments through their main office and the individual contractors will never ask for payments to be made out to them personally for any kind of home maintenance or business construction work.
Payments that are paid to the contracting company should be set up in stages; once stage one of the business or home maintenance is done, the payment is made ad stage two begins. The process repeats until the hob is done. Also be sure that the last payment is not released until everything for your business or home maintenance has been reviewed, approved, and signed off on. The final payment is your insurance policy to make sure the contractor makes good on any final problems or issues before they get the final payment owe to them.
- Take the time to do your research when it comes to contractors and make sure you get the best one for your business or home maintenance need. Watch out for low-ball bids. These can be a sign of an uninsured, unlicensed contractor trying to get work.
On the other end of the spectrum, higher rates often come from fraudulent contractors who hope you are in a rush for home maintenance and will grab the first contractor you can find. Remember, finding a contractor is like many things in life: the first result is not always the best and the one that works best for your needs may be the cheaper one or the more expensive one or one that falls somewhere in the middle.
Like every industry out there, when it comes to business or home maintenance you will find the good, the bad, the honest, the fraudulent, and even some ugly ones. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for and do your research as you choose your home maintenance contractor. Look for ones that have a proven reputation and a wide range of experience. Like those who work for Beyond Custom!
- Check out for yourself what your local roofing codes, state regulations, and laws are that pertain to your particular business or home maintenance project. Make sure your contractor knows and understand this regulations and legal requirements too.
Check their past work and check to see if there were any problems with after-work inspections and code violations. It might also be a good idea to ask when their last home maintenance or business project similar to yours was. You want a contractor who has lots of experience and you probably don’t want to work with a contractor who has not done the type of work you need done in a few years.
Also make sure your home maintenance or business project is carried out in accordance to code laws and regulations or you may face heavy fines and expensive reworking. It’s well worth the time and energy to make sure the work gets done right the first time. Our team of experienced contractors can take care of any project big or small and will handle every step of the process from start to finish!
Beyond Custom Is A Regional Leader In Business & Home Maintenance
Having any repair or construction work done on your home or business is a big job. You need to have a contractor with years of good experience because he/she is the one who works on your home maintenance or business project and will be the one to ensure that the project runs smoothly and that everything is done as it should be.
They are also in charge of the subcontractors and are the ones who supervise them to make sure the home maintenance or business project stays on time and on budget. Avoid deals that sound too good to be true. Take time to plan things out. Do not rush and jump the gun when it comes to hiring a contractor.
Most homeowners and business owners get so caught up with the many aspects of the day-to-day that they lose sight of important business or home maintenance issues until problems arise and they often put off taking care of it.
With Beyond Custom at work, you do not have to put off that business or home maintenance any longer! Take care of your home or business today with the help and experience of our quality and experienced contractors today.
We understand how hard Chicagoans work in maintaining a home or business. We can help you, so give us a call today at (630) 806-1690 or use our Contact Page to get started!